Wednesday 15 February 2012

Statement of intent.


Rationale

-A hand crafted investigation in to image and type with a focus on publication and merchandise.
-An investigation into bookbinding as I would like to create high quality books and magazines.
- I am interested in producing organic work but I would like to use software to enhance my handcrafted designs. I will also investigate in to illustrated vectors.
-I am interested in popular culture and want to produce work that would be sold in design shops.
- I will be using type in my project with a consideration of illustrated type as I think illustrated type would create a more personal touch. I want my work to be personal and not for mass production, one of a kinds, or limited edition.
-I am mainly going to produce work that can be sold, merchandise, books, zines. I am not interested in branding and promoting products.
-I would like my work to inform people of certain areas of interest.
-An investigation in to a wide range of media used to make type and images and thought about what stock to print final publication.
-Concept driven briefs that involve illustration with a wide range of products produced for popular culture.
- I would like to make my own merchandise or decorate a product to enhance it.
-Creating a range of posters and merchandise that follow a theme.
- I want to focus and practice my illustration skills by producing detailed illustrations
- Develop my understanding of print process by using appropriate stock and applying my designs to a range of different product which are necessary for the briefs that I have chosen








Subjects / Themes
Zine Culture, popular culture, Story telling, animals-birds, quotes, 7 deadly sins, fashion magazines, “how to” books, novelties, aesthetically driven, Vogue, fashion photography, fantasy’s, fashion designers, fashion styles, info graphics, poetry, creative packaging, beauty products, materials, animals, paint, mix media, Fruit, buildings, Leeds.










Design Disciplines / Creative Development

Editorial, Publication, Illustration, software, stock, print, book binding.






Practical Skills / Workshops – what, why and when?

Screen print, to get a nice quality to my work.
Hand crafted, I like the organic look work has when it is hand made
Software’s such as Photoshop to create vectors, and in design to produce books
Book binding




Brief 1:
Remembering Leeds
Deadline
30/5/12
Rationale:
A hand drawn investigation in t-shirt designs, with a focus animals and products




Brief 2:
Vogue
Deadline
30/5/12
Rationale:
A mix media investigation in to fashion publication with a focus on the designers published in vogue and their inspiration for their collection.


Brief 3:


Deadline
30/5/12
Rationale:

A hand drawn investigation in to creative packaging, with an interest in beauty products, with a focus on novelties and merchandise.
Brief 4:


Deadline
30/5/12
Rationale:
A mixed media investigation in to fashion illustration cards





Brief 5:


Deadline
30/5/12
Rationale:
An illustrated investigation in to publication with a focus on designing a book cover and illustration for a poetry book.



Brief 6




Contextual references / Designers / Studios / Companies (specific)
Design shops
Urban Outfitter
MAGMA
Harvey Nichols

Studios
I Love Dust
Nous/Vous
Jelly
Rubber Band
Breed
Plum
A3 sudio
Fried banana




RESEARCH ACTIVITY:


Deadline
30/5/12
Details

Visiting novelty shops that sell merchandise, cards, poster and books



RESEARCH ACTIVITY:


Deadline
2/3/12
Details
Late at the library, illuminate. An event where illustrators such as Jon Burgerman, James Jarvis, Alice Melin, Martin Rowson and Mr. Scruff will showcase and talk about their work.





RESEARCH ACTIVITY
Deadline
30/5/12
Details
Harvey Nichols design department, asking about the window display and what is influences it.



RESEARCH ACTIVITY
Deadline
30/5/12
Details
Sending mail outs to designers and questionnaires about their work.




RESEARCH ACTIVITY
Deadline
30/5/12
Details
Visit studios, galleries and exhibitions. Leeds book fair.





BIBLIOGRAPHY

BOOKS / TEXTS - (Harvard Referenced)
R.Walton & J. Cogliantry, The Big Book of Illustration ideas 2, 2008, Collin Designs
M.Wigam, Text and Image, 2008, AVA Publishing SA
Moonshire- Dream works artist…after dark, 2010, Design Studio Press
E.J Wiedemann, Illustration now, 2008 ,Taschen
L.King, The Picture Book, 2006, Penguin Designs
M.Perry, Hand Job, 2007, Priceton Architectural Press
P.Baines Puffin By Design, 2010, Penguin Group
P.Harlt & Y. Winkler, Beyond Illustration, 2009, Publikat







MAGAZINES / JOURNALS / ARTICLES – (include publication date and details)
IMAGINE FX Fantasy & Sci-Fi- digital art 079 February 2012
JUXTAPOZ art and culture January 2012
IDN humours design 2011-12
Vogue- the gold issue December 2000





ON LINE REFERENCES / WEBSITES / ARTICLES (include specific urls)












OTHER REFERENCE MATERIAL (Films, events, exhibitions, conferences)

Urban Outfitters
MAGMA
Harvey Nichols







Action Plan – use this section to identify specific tasks that you need to complete in order to resolve the brief.
Brief
What do you need to do?
Deadline

1



From the research I have found about fashion illustration I am going to decided what aspect I am mainly interested in. From this I am going to start experimenting will styles and media creating my own version of vogue, concentrating on the information I have found out about the designers




2
I am hoping to have produced a large quantity of my illustration by the middle of this week. After I am going to start with my 3rd brief, coconut, this will involve starting creating merchandise with a flowing theme.



3
This week I will be designing all the illustration that I need for brief one. If there is extra time I will investigate the type I need for the projects I have started. I will also plan out brief four and mind map thoughts and ideas for a starting point.





4
Brief four should be done by the beginning of the week. I will finish designing material needed for brief 2 and find out about stock I will need and information to go in the publication. I will also need to find out information about printing my publication (how to make it double sided and page folds)



5
I want to make sure all brief are started this week and I will started illustrating the poetry book. Depending on the amount of poems and the style I draw the designs should be done by the end of the week.



6
Start designing the packaging for brief 3, coconut; there should be 3+ types of packaging that I need to create, all with different illustration.



7
Producing posters, website, shop, labels and merchandise for brief one, this should take the whole week, making sure I have covered all areas



8
Brief 2, I will be making all the type and layout, publication and promotion for my magazine, considering price, where it will be sold and making sure the quality is to a high standard.



9


Printing everything I need for all the briefs, nets , books, posters labels, etc







10
Finalising everything online, making websites and final thoughts






No comments:

Post a Comment